13.1.09

Recruitment Week

Recruiting week has been draining so far but productive. The first job application is due tomorrow by midnight and I'm just polishing off my deliverables for that application. However, there is still about another 10 more applications to complete after that so I have my work cut out for me. Of course, on top of that is an essay I have to write for my intensive course a week ago.

Out of all the possible job opportunities for MBAs, I've pretty much decided on pursuing management consulting as plan A although plan B would be to do operations or line management. It's an uphill battle for me as I lack the work experience as most other students due to my accelerated academic program.

One interesting workshop so far this week is dressing for success as a businessman. Let's just say my fashion sense is terrible as I break most of the fundamental rules about dressing up for a business setting. We got some of the fashion consultants from Harry Rosen to give us a brief overview for suit purchases and matching. The core wardrobe for a business student is three suits -- which will expand to at least five upon working.

First Suit - Pure Black Suit, conservative shirt and tie
Second Suit - Navy suit, more daring shirt and tie
Third Suit - either gray (earthy) or pin stripes with more flamboyant (but within reason) shirt and tie

Of course, to go with that is at least two pair of shoes with matching belts and socks. And they recommend a whole bunch of accessories such as tie clips, cufflings, pocket hankerchiefs, and so on. It's complicated to remember all that stuff and I really could use a style consultant of my own. But I decided that I need a new suit at least for the interviews and so I have decided on a Single-Breasted, Side Vent, Pure Black Suit with a checkered white shirt and a subtlely striped dark tie with a matching pocket square and standard black dress shoes. Luckily we get a 25% discount at Harry Rosen and that is still going to cost me a fortune but they guarantee that it will last me a long time and the cuts will never go out of style (what do you think of the getup below?)


3 comments:

Richard said...

You will look good!

Fafaa said...

Wow... that's some intense shopping!

I think I would like your navy tie with subtle stripes more than this red tie =)

fai lok teen see said...

WOOT!!

Edward does his binge shopping for work whenever he goes to the States (well, this is before we actually moved to the States)... suits for $99 are way better than Rosens'... start with one for now cuz many places are actually more "business casual" than you think...