22.2.08

2 More Years

Today, I officially become a student for two more years and now will graduate in the spring of 2010. I've been struggling with this decision for over a month now but somehow I knew that in the end I would continue with an academic program. However, it means that I will be parting from the world of engineering at the end of August and entering the hyper-competitve, narcissitic, greedy, and power-hungry realm of business. I can't say I have a passion for business because I don't think you can have passion for such a general thing as business. But I feel that getting my MBA is just the natural progression of my life.

I am a very logical person. I don't predict very far in the future, I don't have grand ambitions, but I do plan carefully. I've always planned on getting a technical education and then pairing it off with something more practical. I don't know if this is God's will, but it feels right. There are a few things that makes this next step feel like something God is telling me to do: (1) I got into the program with relative ease (although I had to study hard for my GMATs), (2) part of the massive tuition fee will be subsidized by the Jeffrey Skoll Fund (whose is the founder of ebay), (3) it's an accelerated program (I didn't need the 2 to 4 years of work experience before applying for the MBA). Within 6 relatively short years, I will graduate with 2 technical and practical degrees (B.ASc and an MBA). However, whatever it leads me next I do not know -- but I guess there's no point worrying about it.

I do have some hesitations though about the program. I will be one of the youngest people in the class (where 28 years is the average age). I will have almost no work experience compared with the 2 to 4 years with most other students. Lastly, I don't know anyone who is in the program. It'll be like first year university all over again and I could use another challenge. Also, it'll be another chance to experience university life all over again as I didn't really 'experience' university life during my undergraduate years.

It'll be an interesting adventure nonetheless.

2 comments:

fai lok teen see said...

congratulations!
i assume the program is at UT?

fai lok teen see said...

btw, some of the best Christian leaders i know are business people, in very high positions. they do their job well, but their focus is still always for God and people. i admire that. we always have room for more people and leaders of integrity out there in the "dog eat dog" world.